[Clayart] Art and play

Tom Gibson via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Fri Aug 1 14:13:32 EDT 2014

This is an interesting thread being shared here for me.
Big thank you for everyone participating.
I have over time separated myself from the word artist. Choosing craftsman instead.
The training I received in collage about being an artist also included leaning the ways of "playing"
the art/artist game to make a living. However over the years I have soured on that performance of
the artist category. Too much thinking. Defending. Judging. I am not so good at being academic.
Whereas craftsperson describes who I really am. A maker of ceramic objects. I want people to buy and use my
work. Not just look at it; not just talk about it; not see my CV.
People who buy my work choose it for various reasons but not because I talk about it or someone else does. They
do not play around with its value by interaction. They just like it for whatever reason or use they have in mind.
It feels like a real relationship for me. Showing my work never felt real for me.
So the fact that part of my creating work involves experimentation, exploring options, testing materials or "playing" never comes up for the folks who buy my work. They just like that I did my best with the craft and put my heart into the process.
They can feel that when holding my work.
I do agree that challenging myself to an evermore aware level of execution of the creating process shows up as a satisfying sense of accomplishment for me. And that decipline does get jealous when someone says they envy my playing with clay all the time. But I do know better.  And I do see that buyers notice that in the work.
Just saying....
Tom

Tom Gibson