[Clayart] bisque crumbs

via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Tue Aug 5 17:01:27 EDT 2014

Hi Robert,

I used to work in porcelain. I found that because of the high percent
of silica in porcelain bodies - larger pieces would crack in the
bisque. Those cracks were the kind you could not easily see. They
showed up when glazing. They happen during the quartz inversion at
573C - the part of the pot in contact with the shelf would stay hotter
longer and go through the inversion later than the rim. The rim
(especially on large bowls and platters) would cool first and go
through the inversion first and crack. The crack would be open at that
point but when the rest of the pot went through the inversion the
crack would close up.

Bisqueing higher helps - keeping those types of pots in the upper half
of the kiln (cools slower) and/or firing down through the quartz
inversions when all else fails are solutions.

Nothing at all to do with crumbs but - they can come from signing pots
and not house keeping afterwards.

RR