[Clayart] Re; Three-pin Soldner heads

Fredrick Paget via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Thu Aug 7 13:25:40 EDT 2014

I specifically recommended WD40 because it is not a very good
lubricant. It is mostly Stoddard solvent with a little very light oil
and proprietary rust preventer. If you try axle grease I fear the
Morse taper will not lock as it depends on the  friction force in the
joint being greater than the torque force . If you try it and it
slips, no harm will be done, as you can take it off and clean it and
go to WD40 or  nothing.

On my Jepson wheel  I began to get slippage after a couple of years
and had to put a pin through the base of the taper. The pin engages a
groove knotch I filed at the  bottom of the wheel head center collar.
That operation is easy on the Jepson because the splash pan is very
deep and removable . There is about 6 inches of free space you can
operate a drill in. Probably not the case on the Soldner so it would
be a job for a machinist to take it all apart. The pin to use is
called a Rollpin . It stays put as there is a spring action as the
roll is driven into the recommended hole size and the pin stays tight
in the hole.

Fred