[Clayart] Lizella clay

Lee Taylor via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Tue Aug 12 08:49:47 EDT 2014

I have done a number of tests incorporating Lizella Clay and find it to be great ingredient in a stoneware body for wood firing.  If you are interested in talking about my tests, I'd be glad to share my observations.  I'd also be glad to send a box to you for just the cost of shipping.  I lived in Lizella, Georgia when I went to college at Mercer (great ceramics experience under Roger Jamison!).

I believe the large variation in particle sizes and the high iron content add a lot of character to the clay.  Though I have not seen a chemical analysis, I expect it is rather high in silica.  I had some dunting problems early in the process.

Let me know if you want me to do this.

Lee Taylor
Buffalo Creek Pottery
401 Lime Kiln Road