[Clayart] Mica clay and terra sigilatta

Snail Scott via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Fri Aug 29 11:02:23 EDT 2014

On Aug 28, 2014, at 1:08 PM, MGordon via Clayart wrote:
> ...I seem to remember that they used some ceramic ingredient to work as a leaf glue as opposed to the normal glue that comes with the kit....

Just want to remind people: if it come in a 'kit', or purchased in
a craft shop, it's not likely to be real gold leaf. Actual gold will
behave differently than the fake stuff, which is mostly aluminum.
Nothing wrong with aluminum - a lot of my own work uses it -
but I just wanted to clarify since some folks aren't aware that
most gold leaf...isn't.

If you want real gold, the better specialty art-supply stores and
online merchants do sell it, but it's not out in the aisle with the
picture-frame gilding kits and the Rub'n'Buff.

If you want to try out real gold, and don't want to spring for a full
book of real gold leaf (pricey!) try contacting a local professional
calligrapher - many work with real gold, and may sell you a
single leaf or two for experiments.  Also, real gold leaf comes
in a wide variety of thickness and alloys. 24k 'double-leaf' will
behave differently from 18k leaf, or thinner leaf, and so on.

                                            -Snail