[Clayart] oxyprobe

Hank Murrow via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Fri Aug 29 20:26:22 EDT 2014

On Aug 29, 2014, at 4:06 PM, mel jacobson via Clayart <clayart at lists.clayartworld.com> wrote:

> being one of the pioneers using the oxyprobe, along with
> nils...i must say...they are great the first year.  learn your
> kiln, learn the adjustments...then it would break.
> wire is fragile.  expensive, and then trouble with the tube.
> then something else.  #&*$$%$#@XX

Hank in Eugene here;

Not wanting to offend a Senior Potter; but the OxyProbe(or KilnFinger if you prefer) works really great if you stuff the ½" tube into a ½" alumina tube just ¾" longer than the end of the probe. This action prevents the embrittlement of the exterior platinum wire that can be affected by reduction, getting stiff and brittle over a few dozen fires and finally breaking.

If that has happened to your Probe, just take it to a jeweler of your choice and have him/her weld a bridging piece of Platinum wire in place of the removed brittle part_____ usually just a couple of inches @ $8/inch. I have had those repairs made to several OxyProbes, and mine is going on 200+ firings with no problems.

Jeez Mel, hope you are feeling better,

Yer pal Hank