[Clayart] oxyprobe

Vince Pitelka via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Sat Aug 30 07:56:34 EDT 2014

I agree with Mel and Dannon on this.  There's all sorts of highly sophisticated equipment you can get to monitor and control your kiln, but how much of it is necessary?  Obviously it is everyone's responsibility to conserve fossil fuels at every opportunity, and if an oxyprobe or CO2 monitor helps you maintain a low level of reduction that's effective, I think it's wonderful.  But I have found that if you have a good kiln, good burners, and a tight-fitting damper and really get to know them, you can be very sensitive to back-pressure and control reduction with precision.
- Vince

Vince Pitelka
Appalachian Center for Craft
Tennessee Tech University