[Clayart] Artist vs Craftspeople

Michael McDowell michael at mcdowellpottery.com
Thu Jan 23 21:01:25 EST 2014

> On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 7:02 PM, Robert Harris
> <robertgharris at gmail.com <mailto:robertgharris at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     I still stand by my words. To a certain extent writing in any
>     alphabet other than our own is going to look beautiful (look at
>     modern Indonesian merchant receipts (handwritten of course).

I don't disagree with you Robert, that handwriting can be beautiful. And
that it can inspire "wonder", and that it is art. But I'm with Lis on
the point that something need not be beautiful to be art. I just don't
agree with her that it necessarily involves an intent to communicate. I
do think that intention plays some part though. I would allow that a
hiccup is not art, but brushing your teeth and combing your hair and
shaving would be included under my definition. So would driving to the
Post Office to see if you have mail in your box.

Indeed, I see the dance of life as the essential art that we all practice.

Just an idle speculation here. Reconsidering that cave art. Most seem to
feel that the depictions represent a prayer for a good hunt. Might it
conceivably be yet another earlier receipt or I.O.U. made out to the
universal power? A record of a hunt already completed? Not that it
matters...

Michael McDowell
Whatcom County Washington
www.McDowellPottery.com