[Clayart] Refractory for slump molds?

Constance Woodman gryphus at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 16:21:15 EST 2014

I am interested in slumping glass to complement ceramic forms. However, I
have never made a glass slumping mold before.

On the advice of several fairly inexperienced people I am going to try and
mix 50/50 plaster and powdered quartz sand for one time use slumping molds
that can handle 1400 F.  The reason I am trying a plaster mold over a
bisqueware mold is that I've been told I won't need to kiln wash or
otherwise prep a plaster mold.

Any thoughts from those who have done both ceramic and glass?

-Connie