[Clayart] clay body and glaze/long

ivor and olive lewis iandol at westnet.com.au
Wed Mar 5 01:25:03 EST 2014

Tony,
Wonderful if you can find a raw native clay right by your own back door. But
you need to think in terms of cubic metres if it is to be used to earn a
livelihood. A few buckets full from farms in the next state or province will
not support  a good, skilled production potter.
I recall one of my colleagues who found a seam  of white clay at the foot of
sand dunes.. Following the book she prepared samples and made some well
crafted pots.. No problems with the  bisque firing, but the first cone 8
firing was a disaster. Her wonderful find was contaminated with two classic
fluxes, Sodium from being immersed periodically by the sea and Aragonite,
superfine shell grit composed of Calcium Carbonate.
One of my Australian Students found a very good plastic red clay one their
property, enough to last a life time. Unfortunately, the high Iron content
which gave the wonderful colour gave to many problems.
I have fantasies about cross breeding some of the shale that comprise the
Adelaide Geosyncline.But the best deposits have been worked out. to provide
refractories for early smelters.
Regards,
Ivor Lewis,
REDHILL,