[Clayart] Dead ele. kilns

Dorothy Parshall dorothyp at whidbey.com
Thu Mar 6 14:17:01 EST 2014

I did not express myself clearly enough. I am 77 years old. I have a
"brand new" kiln and another perfectly functioning kiln. Kilns seem to
be a dime a dozen  and  I am certain the other three, four actually,
are quite reparable. I could probably do it myself with ease. The
problem is finding someone who wants to use them. One of them we
rescued on its way to the scrap yard!  Even the new Paragon was sold,
"must be sold", for $200. I do not plan to start a school!

Robert suggests cremating them - good for today's chuckle. Jim says,
repair them. One could be made into a raku kiln, perhaps with an
interior coating to prevent bits of brick from ruining pots.  Of
course, then who is going to do the raku?

Well, maybe I shall have to repair them and offer them up for peanuts,
or the cost of materials,  and hope someone will want them. This would
require I learn how to advertise on one of these second hand sites.

Or I can let them sit here gathering dust until Robin needs the space
- unlikely in a 20,000 sf building. I love the environment and hate
waste. I was hoping for more creative solutions but perhaps that is
all there is.

Dorothy, Quebec