[Clayart] new G-200 feldspar/Tony's ditch glazes

David Woof woofpots at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 8 16:27:28 EST 2014

Hi Everyone,

One doesn't need a crystal ball to see that our world is undergoing changes that will heavily impact us in Ceramics on several fronts.

I do not wish to pay a dollar per pound for feldspars, which this reality, when combined with the fast moving recent changes and obvious obfuscations by manufacturers as to quality and analysis are giving us more than enough concerns.

I see Tony's ditch glazes and expressions of others who have joined the chorus as a call to arms to reformulate our glazes to simpler and local materials.
These simpler materials are in fact complex in their make up and our software programs will need to be fed new data to accommodate our needs.
How close will we come in duplicating our old favorites, while we discover new and exciting versions that may demand recognition and appreciation of a new aesthetic?

While I have spent my entire life in Ceramics and Art, thinking/doing, inventing and sharing ideas, I do not and never have had the desire to publish anything in book form.
But there is serious research and a book at the end of this tunnel for someone with that inclination and the drive to see it through.

Publish it and if it measures up to the best we have today..... I'll buy it!!!     Just don't title it "The Complete......" anything.

In the meantime, I'm going back to digging and prospecting as I did in times past, which was then to gain a basic practical understanding of truly "raw" local materials, looking ahead for the time I see as now to take on an expanded seriousness.

I still have a stashed 5 gal bucket of 1970's Albany Clay, unneeded.  When the Albany supply ran out I soon found a clay deposit that ran from the foot hills of Alma Center, 70 miles south, to Mauston, Wisconsin that was 40 feet deep in places.  I owned 72 acres of it.  Replaced Albany and Red Art in all my clay bodies and glazes.  I tested it, used it, gave it it local potters.  Someone(s) else dug up something similar and called it Alberta Slip.  Good stuff, I've used Alberta on occasion when I  was gifted to a quantity. But never had to buy it because where ever I have moved, I have found useable clay.  Which goes to my point that if we want them, great materials are universal.

Yes I know well the current argument that we have better use of our time than to dig and grind rocks and such to support a chosen lifestyle.   But that is changing.  Unless we willingly change with it, the "old less is more" will become a forced reality.  Many nimble minded folks are already experiencing the accompanying joy, invigoration, and beauty of simplicity.

I maintain a gallery presence because some folks trust and respect my mugs, bowls, fermentation crocks, yarn bowls... at the Farmer's Market... more when they learn that I taught college and am represented by a gallery.  Imagine that!!!

Well, really, I also make 3d forms that won't hold soup, except soup for the soul.  And am quite good at it as well.   See on the HWY 101 at "Triangle Square Gallery" SW Oregon Coast.

Love to all,

David Woof