[Clayart] new G-200 feldspar/Tony's ditch glazes

prickly potter pricklypotter at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 15:05:20 EDT 2014

Hi David.

Oh don't worry - there's people I hit the ass button on.

1. The first thing I was taught in pottery was not to get attached. I guess
that includes glaze materials. Now who moved my G200?

2. Pottery as practised historically is unfortunately gone. I don't see
this situation changing pre cataclysm, which I hope will be after I'm dead
and not before.

The place that functional pottery now occupies and will occupy in the
future seems to be a subject both of discussion on this and other boards
and of cultural/marketplace renegotiation. I'm not going to add my two
cents. I can't predict the result of that and hopefully we'll survive as
potters in some form that we're comfortable with.

3. It is indeed time to reconsider lifestyle etc. I'll also venture a
statement that larger concentrations of people that are supplied by a not
too far agricultural belts are more sustainable, per given number of
people, than a population spread. Extrapolate that to pottery if you will.
Except that there is a greater societal and financial incentive to ensure a
reliable food and energy supply than feldspar supply. As it is we're just a
footnote which is why Custer (etc) changed and nobody bothered to tell us.

4. I'd be lying if I said that the idea of grinding my own volcanic ash
does not appeal to me. So does the idea of living off the land, and several
other appealing cultural tropes from 'our' own culture, 'my' culture and
'other' cultures. Buy hey, Smalltown Ontario/Anytown US is Reality for most
people. By comparison, I'm lucky enough to be living where I am.

Bon Dimanche,
D.

--
David