[Clayart] tony's metaphor tangent - cornwall stone vs custer mega-pinholes

ronroy at ca.inter.net ronroy at ca.inter.net
Sun Mar 9 17:08:08 EDT 2014

Hi Jeff,

The answer to the difference in the recalculated glazes may lie in the
differences in the analysis of cornwall stone. There are 4 listed in
Mimi Obstler's "Out of the Earth into the Fire" - page 20.

ISBN 1-57498-001-7 hard cover
ISBN 1-57498-008-4 soft cover

Who knows which version was being used at Alfred U.

2 versions have some P2O5 and 3 versions have Fluorine. 3 versions
have under Under 8% alkalis equally divided between Sodium and
potassium and one version has less than 6% and mostly K2O.

I would say that having the right analysis for the materials in the
original glaze would help a lot.

I do agree that getting the same result without a material like
Cornwall Stone is going to take some special skill -  but - it is a
magical material in some ways.

RR