[Clayart] cornwall vs custer

Jeff Lawrence jefflawr at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 02:01:31 EDT 2014

Thanks for the comments, friends. Interesting and educational. As usual, I
had to consult references to understand Ivor's reference to peritectic
reaction - "a reaction where a solid phase and liquid phase will together
form a second solid phase at a particular temperature and composition"
Thanks, Ivor! In addition to savoring this new (to me) concept, I'm
wondering if it also accounts for the slower melt of cornwall stone despite
the high levels of fluxes. Also, I wasn't aware of the variety of analyses
embraced by the name - thanks, Ron.
In the interest of full disclosure, the test flowed mainly from curiosity
about the pinholes on my friend's pot. If I needed to tame this glaze, the
suggested substitution of wollastonite for whiting seems like a good start,
though digging a little deeper into the particular flavor of material might
be advisable, too. Fluorine sounds like a likely suspect.
However, this is more of a thought experiment for me, less about working
around the issue than trying to understand why the reworked formula is so
much more fluid than the original; or rather, why the original doesn't melt
as much as the flux levels suggest it would.
Once again, I delight in this hive mind we make up. Thanks!
Jeff
 PS I didn't squander my stockpiled G200-HP on tests - the old G-200
happened to be one of two potash spars I had lying around.