[Clayart] making a flat pattern for a concave surface

PETER HAMER p.hamer at btinternet.com
Mon Mar 24 12:20:24 EDT 2014

Marci,

I would strongly advise you to go with Jeff's advice.

In case you want to try fitting multi-gore images together, here are pdf's for some.
http://www.vendian.org/mncharity/dir3/planet_globes/
... I expect that it's possible if you really really have to

And applying multiple "small" images is another option, this time with pumpkins
http://confessionsofaplateaddict.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/country-living-inspired-decoupage.html

I wonder about some sort of snowflake derived pattern?

This is only 2D, but gives a quick way of getting rotational symmetry
http://www.origamiway.com/paper-snowflake-patterns.shtml

Regards, Peter