[Clayart] nceca stories/long

Arthur Lee arlee34224 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 10:40:52 EDT 2014

Mostly, I agree with Mel's  assessment. Where I differ is regarding the
English gal's "cause. " What she is trying to do is gather up grant money
to make it easier for potters to take on apprentices by supplementing the
apprentices' wages. It's a modest project - and I'm not at all sure it
would be to the taste of Americans - but in England, where they are pushing
a revival of apprenticeships in all sorts of fields, it makes sense and
deserves encouragement. Here, I suspect we would need more of a sense of
the importance of our craft (less of a sense that it's a "nice hobby") and
more of a sense of all of us working together and helping each other in a
common enterprise.
And now, I suppose, I'm wondering how we can accomplish that.
Wondering while waiting for my flight back home,
Arthur Lee