[Clayart] Fwd: About NCECA

Robert Harris robertgharris at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 22:50:30 EDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 8:36 PM, jonathan byler <jebyler2 at gmail.com> wrote:

>  The one that always sticks out, though, was the juried student show, This
> time in the basement galleries at MIAD.  Absolutely stunning work (almost
> all of it).  It's a little weird that there aren't more established artists
> and/or potters who have work that good on display, but heartening that
> there are plenty of up and coming people, some still in undergraduate
> programs, making kick-ass work.

Probably because they have to get on with life and get a stable job to pay
the bills ... and somehow those good intentions of carrying on doing
ceramics gets lost in the stress of everyday life.

I just met a girl who graduated from Syracuse (or possibly Rochester, I can
never keep them straight) a couple of years ago, and is now working for an
interior decorating/painting company and swears that she'll get back to
painting this year ...

It's all but nigh impossible to rent some cheap cabin in the backwoods and
"make-do" these days, as you hear about folks doing 30-50 years ago.

--