[Clayart] adding silicon carbide to clay

jonathan byler jebyler2 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 15:11:57 EDT 2014

Hi Eric,

Inconel might work, but is crazy expensive.  I can't see stainless working for the type of heat exchanger that I want.  I want full efficiency with counter-directional flow.  that means cold air coming in from the "top" and going down to the bottom, picking up more and more heat as it goes,  In bartel's kilns, his preheated combustion air is over 2000F when it enters the kiln at maximum temperature inside the kiln.  This of course would cause almost immediate failure (at least as seen in the regular lifespan of a kiln) for a stainless steel heat exchanger.  for the very top, if one was trying to eek out the last few hundred degrees from the kiln exhaust, it would make sense to build from stainless steel, or perhaps if one wasn't trying to harvest 1000F+  air to preheat the air coming into the kiln.

-jon