[Clayart] Tony and the panel

tony clennell smokieclennell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 19:40:05 EDT 2014

Ya Kelly and Mel. It was hard for me to get a feel for how the panel was
going as I was last and probably all tensed up about delivering. Months ago
I planned my talk thinking about plastic and technology and then I was told
to address where it is going not where it has gone. I focused on The Adult
Tsunami since everywhere I go the guilds are bulging at the seams while
Academia seems to be cut and shrink wrapped.
I am totally about the idea of 1,2,4,6 week concentrated courses. I spent 6
weeks with Mick Casson some 30 years ago and it was enough information to
keep me working it out for 20 years. Guilds and art centres are doing what
people want without evaluation, rigid time frames and at cheaper prices.
A few months ago we had Peter Beseeker from U of Syracuse do a workshop at
Sheridan. Tuition for a 4 year BFA $55,000 per year. $220,000 for an
undergrad degree in CLAY! How many great workshops could you take on the
interest of that money and how great a studio could you build in Detroit or
Tupelo,Mississippi?
Lots to talk about. I always think of the woulda, coulda, shoulda's when it
is all over.