[Clayart] where have all the potters gone/long

KATHI LESUEUR kathi at lesueurclaywork.com
Thu Mar 27 07:51:24 EDT 2014

On Mar 26, 2014, at 11:23 PM, Bridget Flood wrote:

> Dear Mel
>
> I've been a part-time potter for 25 years. ...
>
> I also do a holiday show at a friend's house in a more scale suburban location (my studio is in an historic neighborhood).  She invites several of her friends who make Etsy type crafts (soaps, jewelry, upcycled clothing)  I am the only potter.

Now, I agree there is a lot on Etsy that isn't high quality craft. But, to use the term "Etsy type crafts" is to imply that it is all low quality craft. Not true. As just one example check out John Bauman's Etsy store and tell me if that fits your definition of "Etsy type crafts". He's just one of the potters who've inspired me to open an Etsy store. One of my friends who sells on Etsy told me last fall that he had his first $1800 day. I guarantee it wasn't done by selling little soaps. Etsy is just one of the innovative ways to sell your work. If you want to be a successful potter, want to do it full-time, the market is out there. You just have to find a way to let them find you.

KATHI LESUEUR
http://www.lesueurclaywork.com