[Clayart] where have all the potters gone/long

Paul Gerhold gerholdclay at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 08:19:27 EDT 2014

Mel,
Glass is not getting hugh, it has been the field for at least ten years and maybe more.  We did Sofa Chicago nine years ago and it was dominated by glass then.  And they weren't making goblets or wine glasses they were making art.  And glass had the outsize characters who knew how to promote their art and themselves.

Functional glass is now coming to the United States from all over the world at prices US glass blowers can't really match.  As a matter of fact several glass guys at One of the major shows twelve years ago were reselling glass made overseas as their own product.  They did do the design but the production was overseas.

So if you want to learn from glass the lessons are this.  The future is Art sold at high prices to those who can afford it. And success means promotion and marketing worldwide through the big galleries and shows.  And the work gets larger and larger.  And the techniques of making are constantly evolving to permit making new and different work.

As for the future of functional work.  My guess is there will always be a market but it will continue to shrink.  And more and more of it will come from overseas where labor is cheap.  And probably the line between Handmade and manufactured will blur more and more in the eyes of the consumer.

Paul

Sent from my iPad