[Clayart] where have all the potters gone/long

Robert Harris robertgharris at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 10:39:10 EDT 2014

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 7:51 AM, KATHI LESUEUR <kathi at lesueurclaywork.com>wrote:

> I guarantee it wasn't done by selling little soaps. Etsy is just one of
> the innovative ways to sell your work.

This made me laugh a bit. I actually have a friend who started out selling
soap on ETSY. She subsequently opened her own website and also does perfume
etc now. However when she closed her ETSY shop she had sold about 18,000
"little soaps". ... over the course of about 18 months  ... at $5.00 a pop
.At the end was probably doing close to $1800 days although by that time
the real money maker was the scents and body washes and other things like
that.  And she started at the end of 2009 at the height of the recession
(her "real" job as a realtor was drying up, as you can imagine).

She now does it full time and her turnover is is pretty damn significant
(enough that she has to get the Post Office to make special pick-ups). One
thing I would say is that she absolutely wins because her stuff is light
and easily shipped - potters get totally creamed by the shipping charges.
The other thing is that her stuff while it is not "cheap" it is an
affordable luxury that many women (and her clientèle is mostly women) feel
OK "splurging" on. So $5.00-$10.00 (plus minimal shipping) is something
that people feel they can afford versus at least $30.00 for  a mug (if you
include the cost of shipping etc). Now mugs certainly last a lot longer ...
but people's brains don't work that way!

The other thing is that her scents are (from what I understand) very
unique, and she has focused on a niche in the market. Her scents (even for
women) are heavy and woodsy, and she stays away from the light flowery
stuff you can get anywhere. This type of market sense is definitely
something potters can do.

Rob