[Clayart] Where have all the potters gone.

dianamp at comcast.net dianamp at comcast.net
Fri Mar 28 11:58:50 EDT 2014

I enjoyed the lecture about this topic, but
thought they missed a couple of things.

At the end of the lecture I commented/questioned
whether anyone on the committee thought that
DIGITAL media was having an effect on art students'
choices.

In my experience at EMU, our GRAPHIC DESIGN majors
have far exceeded enrollment in any of the standard
art areas such as sculpture, painting, or ceramics.
This has been a growing trend for about 8 years.
Students are more secure in being employable by
choosing graphic design (as are their parents).

My very experienced business friend who also attended
the lecture told me that she was disappointed that
no one mentioned a broader economic issue--
the DIVISION OF WEALTH in this country. Without a strong
middle class, the population at large doesn't have enough
disposable income to treat themselves to hand made art.
Perhaps those who make are for the wealthy will survive,
but what about the rest of the artists?

(Both of my children are in the arts--one in graphic design,
and one in architecture.)

Diana Pancioli