[Clayart] - Being a Potter

David Woof woofpots at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 28 22:51:19 EDT 2014

Hi Mark,
it does take a strong sense of one's abilities, to put it out there for all to view, and it does take healthy ego energy to believe that the work merits the acclaim it is to receive.  There are always those blocked "poets" who would poison the well for others.  Folks who bandy about words w/out ever checking Webster's before they spew labels.  It can be a thin and wavering line between seeming confident and proud of one's work, or an egotistical ass in the opinion of others more insecure and less proficient.   Not more to say about "Jerks."   Seems we all have a definition that many times collides with someone else's reckoning.  The study I mused about would prove inconclusive.  I've gotten to know and appreciate some "jerks at first impression"

My experience with the older timers who have passed, and those still among us, has been that along with a down to earth humility came a take no crap tough mindedness.  But they too had their detractors and support.  The successful at what they set out to do didn't give it a sideways glance.  Waste of valuable creative energy.

Lets hope to pass that on to the coming generations.  We must stick together.
Quit fighting to maintain a place in the existing systems whose doors are closing, and create a composite and flexible new one of our own that supports and energizes for a changing future.  Start local and let it grow where it will.  Keep making what ever incites passion.  Good work will always sell.   There is historical support for this.

David Woof