[Clayart] brown surface

John Post via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Tue Apr 7 23:23:09 EDT 2015

I have seen brown areas on white clays on Ian Currie grids that I have fired at cone 6 electric.
The glazes flux or fume outside of the recessed square they sit in on the grid and the color of the clay
around these fuming glazes is brown.

I have a blue pot that I purchased from a potter in New Mexico.
She waxed little dots on the pot and dipped the rest in her blue glaze.
The glaze contains barium and neph sy. and this fumed onto the areas
that she put the wax resist on. So it's a blue pot with brownish bare clay dots even
though it's on a whitish buff body.

John Post