[Clayart] flame ware

via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Sat Apr 18 08:42:54 EDT 2015

Hi Sara:

I regret to say that I have no experience with Pizza stones.
Except using commercial ones :)

Because the piece must heat fairly quickly, it probably shouldn't be
too dense. The stone would need to withstand the thermal shock of
putting it in a hot oven. For that reason, a less vitrified body might be
safer, and more resistant to cracking. More than that I cannot say.

They could probably be made of earthenware OR stoneware,
but I would think that earthenware would withstand the thermal shock better.
That is probably why casseroles for the oven are often made of
earthenware.

I think you could experiment with one or two stones of your design in different clays.
Then try them out. I wouldn't go into production without some testing.

Sincerely,

Diana