[Clayart] downfiring book/bogle/SEND A BUCK

Paul Gerhold via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Thu Apr 23 07:27:18 EDT 2015

Of course down firing changes the results when crystal formation either micro or macro is needed  to make the glaze work. That is a given and matches my experience.  But my question is does it actually help with other types of glazes and if so does anyone have the science.  My guess is that it doesn't help much, if at all where crystal formation is not required.

If the glaze you tested is a rutile blue it probably does rely on crystal formation so down firing would change the results.  Whether or not the change is an improvement would be in the eye of the beholder.

Paul

Sent from my iPad