[Clayart] Seeping Pots

sumi sumi at herwheel.com
Tue Dec 22 23:51:24 EST 2015

Elizabeth

I've sealed earthenware (unglazed micaceous clay) with milk - it's the
casein in it that does it - but I would never do this with stoneware,
certainly not with ware I'm going to sell or give away. Assuming you are
using glazed stoneware, I suspect the casein would wash out in the
dishwasher, and it wouldn't be very permanent if you use the pot in the
microwave or the oven, either. If you are working with stoneware, you
need to find a clay that is properly vitrified at your temperature. If
you are working with earthenware, the clay is naturally porous - one
solution is to a) bisque higher than the glaze firing, say cone 1, and
then b) dip the pot completely in the glaze, including the foot, then
either fire on stilts or wipe away only the tiniest bit of glaze from
the edge of the foot ring before firing. This allows a bit of glaze to
seep into the clay before you wipe it off, helping to seal it. It is
still likely that eventually with use the glaze will craze and the pot
might begin to seep over time.

Sumi