[Clayart] Seconds

sumi sumi at herwheel.com
Wed Dec 30 21:05:02 EST 2015

Carol

I sell seconds at a couple of events such as a studio sale where I
teach, where the students and staff snap them up. And I "second" Vince's
statement that a piece that is flawed to the point of losing function is
not a second, it's trash, but if it's functional and pretty there's no
reason someone shouldn't be using it. I use a lot of them. I never put
anything I consider a second in a gallery. And if the glaze ever has
blisters it's trash. Blisters are dangerous. I feel like I consume a lot
of resources making objects and I hate to just fill up landfills with
useful things that aren't cosmetically perfect. I feel a bit conflicted
as it is about using the resources in the first place making objects the
world doesn't quite need.

Sumi