[Clayart] MY CERAMICS DEPT.

Bill Schran via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Sun Feb 1 08:02:37 EST 2015

I will retire from teaching at a community college where I have taught ceramics, drawing & design for 37 years.
I was hired at one campus, built the clay program, then budget cuts eliminated my position.
Was lucky to move to another campus with somebody retiring and rebuilt a program.
I learned early on there would NEVER be sufficient funding in the art department budget (became department head so knew the state of the budget) to keep a healthy pottery program going. Where would I find the funding?
I established an account in the college educational foundation and started lobbying my older students that I knew had money to fund the account.
I applied for grants to buy equipment every year.
15 years ago we started the Annual Holiday Pottery Show & Benefit held on a Saturday before Christmas break.
I and my students would donate pottery and we raised a few thousand each time.
I will leave my position with about $20,000 in the foundation account that funds purchase of supplies and equipment parts/repair. Some years I didn't have to spend much. Being teaching faculty AND part of the administration I knew about the budget cycle and so called "end of year funds". Monies not spent from the division budget about two weeks before end of the semester had to be spent ASAP or lost. I ALWAYS had a purchase request form already filled out with expensive chemicals like cobalt, totaling $1500.00 as I knew that was the predictable amount allowed.
It does take a dedicated individual who is willing to spend the extra hours and to the extra work to make what they feel is important happen.
Bill
---- MGordon via Clayart <clayart at lists.clayartworld.com> wrote:

=============
This is how I did it when I was teaching ceramics. I've been retired 11
years now, but at the time there was no clay shop in town, closest was
30 miles away. Clay was $10.00 per 25 lb. bag. My budget for 5 classes
- 35 h.s. kids per class was $3000 per year. I bought a ton of clay for
the whole budget, which lasted about 5 weeks.  I charged $8.00 per bag.
$2.00 cheaper than they could buy it anywhere else. Eventually it went
up in price.& they were going through a lot of clay, so the dept. made
money. I was buying a BRENT CXC every year. When I retired they had 10
electric wheels and six kick wheels which were there when I got hired.
I left the dept. with an extra $3000 that some how disappeared with one
of the two teachers they hired to replace me. They didn't hire that
suspected teacher back. I would sell a vase in the main office where
moms would come in and buy them to off set all the clay I threw with
for demonstrations to my classes. I made pots with the kids almost
every day depending on my work load. Granted it was an upper middle
class district & the kids could afford it or their parents could. Those
kids that couldn't afford it  had a fund in the counseling office that
gave them money if they were on a list the counselors kept. So double
your money double your fun!! Mike Gordon

MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG WRAP