[Clayart] dave shaner story

mel jacobson via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Sun Feb 1 09:52:57 EST 2015

i have always held dave shaner as one of my idols...a real one.

we would have been the same age. 80 in 2015.
we both went to college to become public school teachers.
we both taught junior high, at the same time. 900 miles apart.

we both got blessed with tons of old dark red school clay. scrap
we both added fire clay and got it free clay for home
so.
same time in life, doing the same thing, thinking the same thoughts.
when he died i was crushed...and, i only knew him from afar.
our paths did not cross often.  i know and remembersending a
big donation to his wife...i felt i owed them that.

that iron laden clay was a bugger to find a nice glaze to cover and
show the elegance.  he designed rhodes 32 to fit his pots full of iron.
dan put it in the book from dave's research.
it changed my life.
many of dave's famous sixties pots had 32 on them.
many of my pots in the sixties had 32 on them.
we both made lots of pots...pots to use, to sell.

in many ways dave shaner was the one that made my
life as a potter.  i always said in my own mind...`make pots
that dave shaner would admire and you will be ok.`
i have tried to do that.
mel
from: minnetonka, mn
website:http://www.melpots.com