[Clayart] mummies and time

Hank Murrow via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Wed Feb 4 22:10:17 EST 2015

Hank adds something;

I have another from further back in our past: 1959. Pete was coming to U of Oregon to do a workshop, and needed 1000 #'s of clay___ his usual recipe, 70% Lincoln 60 & 30% Del Monte sand. I mixed it and stored it in our concrete bins, which held around 1500 #'s. Pete arrived, and I showed him the clay in the bin and asked him if he wanted some help wedging it up. He said "Sure, grab some clay", and I got ten #'s out while I watched him collect about 50#'s and kneeling on the concrete floor he wedged it into a beautiful spiral while I cut and slammed my ten #'s on the butcher-block wedging table

I asked him if it was hard to do it his way, and he said "Grab some more clay and come down on the floor with me."
I got another 20#'s and got down across from him. He said "No, get shoulder to shoulder with me". I did, and couldn't form that spiral. Pete said, "Hank, close your eyes, they are fooling you". Two minutes later I had a fine spiral form and it was easier to wedge that 30#'s than it had been to cut and slam the ten #'s. Been that way for 56 years.

I tell that story at each workshop I give, and another about how shy Pete was. I was sorry to see him in later years so stressed by drugs and fame. It could happen to any potter chasing after magazine covers. Anyway, I just want to honor him as he was to me in 1959.

Cheers, Hank in Eugene