[Clayart] Citing the authority for private prisons

Deborah Thuman via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Fri Feb 6 09:05:38 EST 2015

Um.... I'm afraid I'm the authority here. When a client gets convicted or pleads guilty, the court has to do something with that person. I frequently try hard to find the appropriate something. For one client, I spent several hours calling prisons, speaking to wardens and asking about their programs. If you go to the NM Dept. of Corrections web cite, you will find information about which prisons are run by NM and which by private corporations. Per the wardens, programs are almost non-existant. But they do supply in prison jobs - cooking, cleaning, other menial chores - for which prisoners are paid about 30 cents an hour. For inmates with mental illness, there's a psychiatrist who can't be bothered going to the prison so the psychiatrist spends all of 15 minutes a month on the phone talking to mentally ill inmates. I find that almost as offensive as child pornography. (I said almost....)

Rehabilitation in prisons, at least in NM prisons, is a delusion - and a very dangerous one.

Deb Thuman
http://debthuman.blog.com/
http://www.etsy.com/shop/DebThuman
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Deb-Thumans-Art-Page/167529715986
I can honestly say that I was never affected by the question of the success of an undertaking. If I felt it was the right thing to do, I was for it regardless of the possible outcome.   Golda Meir