[Clayart] Helmer clay

Michael Wendt via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Sat Feb 7 01:25:09 EST 2015

We used Helmer Clay at the University of Idaho when I was  student there in
the early 70s. A P Green made the Yukon firebrick out of it (90% calcined to
cone 28 plus 10% raw ) dry pressed in a massive press. When they closed, I
took over production of the clay and it has steadily grown in use over the
years. 2014 saw a near doubling of demand, so much so that I have run out of
product in my dry shed and will need to haul more in as early as possible
this year... my shed holds close to 300 tons.
The Alfred porcelain recipe can be made with Helmer in place of both the
Kaolin and the ball clay. Thiel Kaolin tested Helmer for paper use and
concluded it was far too plastic at 18% + drying shrinkage. They called it a
ball clay but it is a bit coarser than ball clay and very low in lignin
which is common in ball clays.
I still paln to continue clay production for the rest of my pottery career
(I expect that will be at least another 300 years based upon how much Mt St
Helen volcanic ash I now have on hand!)
Regards,
Michael Wendt