[Clayart] 3-D printer and clay

Deborah Thuman via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Sat Feb 7 12:25:46 EST 2015

We all have different reasons for playing with mud. Every single one of those reasons - the ones I know about and the ones I don't know about - are valid.

I don't want a 3-D printer. I don't want to be able to make 6,000 of the same piece all extremely identical. Heck, I don't want to be a production potter!

I want to escape for a while. I want to be alone with my thoughts. I want the clay/fabric/beads/fiber/any combination thereof to show me what's going on inside of me. Maybe it's because I'm bipolar and my moods have nothing to do with anything that's going on around me. Maybe it's just me. Maybe it's everybody and I just don't know that. Still, I don't understand what's inside until I can put it into art. Sometimes, I sit down with a lump of clay and understanding comes out of my hands. I remember the joy of my first Georgia O'Keefe moment when I looked at my classmates and discovered what a nose looks like. Funny thought: Imagine saying that to a room full of engineers. Maybe that's not so funny. Maybe engineers have the same Georgia O'Keefe moments. Maybe it's something universal which no one has had the guts to say out loud yet.

Maybe I should finish my happy good morning to me cup of tea, preshrink the Brussels washer linen and make something lovely. I had to swallow an elephant at work on Thursday. I need something lovely. I need a counterpoint. Someone else can have the 3-D printer; I'm not able to play with it right now.

Oh, dear. I'm writing a novel and a sculpture just popped into my head.

Deb Thuman
debthuman at verizon.net
http://debthuman.blog.com/
http://www.etsy.com/shop/DebThuman
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Deb-Thumans-Art-Page/167529715986

“Do what you feel in your heart to be right – for you’ll be criticized anyway.”
― Eleanor Roosevel