[Clayart] sheets in the kiln.

mel jacobson via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Sat Feb 7 13:51:40 EST 2015

we have hauled pots around for years..all sizes.
there is always a way to get them into the kiln...well, unless
the door is too small.

i have lowered big pots into the kiln with rope, fabric,
plastic etc.
anything will work if it is strong enough.
i often fire bigger pieces on kiln supports, just turn the posts over
on their sides.
make a circle of posts that the pot rests on.
then the rope trick is like lowering a casket.
plus, i like air under big items.

the bigger the pot, the more hands needed. simple logic.
if it is a struggle, you probably will lose the pot.

if you leave the burnable stuff behind it really does not
matter.  just make sure you have ventilation those first few
hours...it will burst into flame at some point and be gone.

some say it will hurt the coils, but you don't do it very often.
so no harm done.

i stuffed big hand built pots with newspaper for years.(paper
armature)..it just burns away.
just make sure if you are working with a public kiln you let folks
know it is going to smoke.

you don't want the head janitor calling you at 2 a.m. as the
fire department is at the school...smelling foul smoke.

as a sidebar:  it is good to have a few of the fire people visit
the school and let them know how to handle a kiln fire.
as you all know...`spray a kiln with water that is at 2400 and
it becomes an A bomb.`

as many of you suspect, after teaching for thirty years in one place,
many of your students become fire fighters and cops.  they already
know the rules of kilns.  (and, it is really nice when you get pulled over,
it is a former student that just wants to chat!!!!!  and, as i do not
drink booze, it is always fun...)

it is also welcome when the gas inspector walks into my studio
and says `hi mel, remember me.  hi greg, how is your work going?`
i had called him to give me some advice for my kiln book.
mel
from: minnetonka, mn
website:http://www.melpots.com
new book: http://www.21stcenturykilns.com