[Clayart] Kiln Fires

Paul Gerhold via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Wed Feb 11 07:41:05 EST 2015

I have been following the discussion on fires with some interest and don't really understand how you can have a kiln fire.  Seems to me that maybe if the kiln is not located properly or stacks not properly isolated the surrounding environment could catch fire but it seems hard to actually imagine a kiln burning.

And it would seem if a fire occurs firefighters probably are not going to be spraying water into the kiln unless of course it collapses in which case it will be a lot cooler than 2300 degrees.  That said I am sure all the potters on this list have adequate fire extinguishers available.  It is always an interesting decisions as to when to call the fire department but my suggestion would be to call if there I'd any doubt and then try to put the fire out yourself.

Back in my industrial days that is what we did, hoping we could put the fire out first since the fire dept never  seemed too concerned about saving equipment.

Paul

Sent from home