[Clayart] mel's love of science

Ivor Lewis via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Sun Feb 15 01:32:00 EST 2015

 Most families of our generation suffered from some form of tragedy. Both
cemeteries in Redhill are populated by infants, some a scant day old. My
paternal grandmother died from Spanish Influenza. My maternal Grandfather
survived Trench warfare to sire a son and a daughter. I still have memories
of the day he died from the shrapnel that couldn't be removed. Modern
surgery would be impossible without the application of antibiotics.

But getting back to Science Karl Popper, "Conjecture and Refutation" is good

Consider Hydrogen and Oxygen. These may be shown as being in the guise of
Water given the Symbol H2O. They may be shown as a combination of two atoms,
O and H. In a Dictionary of Science this may be called Hydroxide and be
described as a metallic compound containing the Ion (OH)^- (called the
Hydroxide Ion) It is also described as a substance containing -OH and called
a Hydroxyl Group bound to a Metal Atom. This puzzles me. It is illogical.
The dictionary is treating dissimilar things as being identical As a
scientist I know that a specific hypothesis cannot explain dissimilar
phenomena. Consider the following Observations, commonly described in many
books written for Potters and Ceramic Artists. Clay becomes plastic when it
is mixed with water. If it does not then it can be made more plastic by
adding a portion of Bentonite, not a lot. Just a few percent. We believe
this to be true. I know why it incorrect though it is difficult to explain.
But I was alerted to error when I decided to analyse the values of Water Of
Plasticity given in Glen Nelsons and Susan Petersons books and represented
the mineral materials and the water of Plasticity in terms of Volume. The
mass of clay in general is twice the mass of the water. In volumetric terms
the volume of water is twice that of the mineral component.

I now have a second edition of R. E. Grim, "Clay Mineralogy"