[Clayart] deb/jonas story

Hank Murrow via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Sun Feb 15 19:20:57 EST 2015

My father contracted polio in 1914 at 18 months of age, had to wear braces on theleft leg until 12, and then was taken to NYC by his father for surgery to graft muscle  from his good right leg to the left affected leg. He did gymnastics for several years after to learn to walk unaided again, going on to Kansas State and U of Kansas and MIT to study aeronautical engineering. Worked in 1938 for Douglas Aircraft designing the flying surfaces for the C-47, Skystreak and Skyrocket, and on loan to Hughes for the Spruce Goose. He then went as one of the first six hires to the RAND Corp. in Santa Monica working on intercontinental and battlefield missile systems. As he approached his eighties, he suffered a return of the polio symptoms and was bedridden or in a chair the last ten years until 90. Joni Mitchell suffers from the same recurrence. Sheer will kept him going so long.

Sounds funny to say it, but Cheers anyway, Hank in Eugene