[Clayart] Flame movers

James Miner via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Wed Feb 18 11:51:37 EST 2015

HI Deb. Like you, I and a lot of other folks have had problems firing the
Olympic Torchbearers for several reasons.  Assuming you are using the
previous suggestions you mention, I would add the following.  First, use a
top shelf set about an inch below the lid.  This helps keep the heat in the
kiln (and minimizes lid debris from falling on the pots, since the lids on
these things seem to crack).  Second, I generally put a stilt or piece of
firebrick in the path of each burner on the second and third shelves (but
not the first shelf).  This deflects and spreads the flames, and makes a
hot spot that will re-radiate heat back downward to help cold lower
shelves.  Third, make a small chimney of IFB around the flue.  One brick
high is enough. This helps with drafting issues.

You can also change the location of the hottest part of the flame depending
on stacking and flue position, but that may be too complicated until you
try these first suggestions.  I can fire to within one half a cone from top
to bottom this way, even with the flue fully open for oxidizing conditions.
I'm trying to dial it in a little better by changing how BIG of a stilt or
firebrick piece to use to break up the flame, as well trying different as
packing arrangements/flue positions.

Good luck.

Jim