[Clayart] Wood-gas hybrid kiln firing advice needed

Paul Herman via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Wed Feb 25 17:50:39 EST 2015

Hi Bob,

First, let me caution you to NOT try firing down with wood to increase the ash glaze. That ash needs lots of heat and time to melt, and if you fire down you will end up with plenty of crusty, unmelted ash glazes, yuk!

I have not fired a wood/gas kiln, but have used propane to preheat overnight before. If you want more ash on the pots, it seems to me you need to stoke wood longer, and use the gas less. Some of the more rich ash glazed surfaces are produced with long firings. We fire the wood kiln here for 72 hours, but it’s a big one and needs that long to fire properly. It’s about 300 cubic feet inside.

So I think you just need to fire longer, and maybe start using the wood at an earlier time.

Bon feu,

Paul Herman

Great Basin Pottery
Doyle California