[Clayart] Dihydrogen oxide most lethal substance in the studio?

John Hesselberth via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Thu Feb 26 15:41:27 EST 2015

> On Feb 26, 2015, at 10:21 AM, Girrell, Bruce via Clayart <clayart at lists.clayartworld.com> wrote:
>
> On a more serious note, is the LD50 of 25 mg/kg (see the MSDS page) for real?

Hi Bruce,

My ancient (1984—Sixth edition) copy of Sax “Dangerous Properties of Industrial Materials” doesn’t have data for mice, but the water oral LDLo for rabbits is given as 368mg/kg and the intravenous LDLo for rabbits is 13 mg/kg. So I suppose intravenous LD50 of 25 might be about right. Couldn’t find saline which is what is normally injected into blood—it may be significantly higher.

Regards,

John