[Clayart] bisque temps and glaze

David Hendley via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Fri Feb 27 19:30:12 EST 2015

You cannot really bisque at any temperature you want.
My experience is that for small items that my be true, but once you
start firing platters or bowls that are over about 16" diameter
the bisque temperature becomes more critical.
Big bowls that are "soft bisqued" have a much greater chance
of cracking during bisque-fire cool down. This is because the
rim cools faster than the foot (especially true if fired in an
electric kiln only a little bigger in diameter than the bowl
because the area close to the kiln wall cools much faster).

I used to bisque fire "by eye" and not worry about it. When
I started having trouble with large diameter pieces cracking
I put a cone 06 in the kiln setter and that took care of the
problem. I think it is only natural to under-fire if you think you
can fire by atmospheric color only!

David Hendley
david at farmpots.com
http://www.farmpots.com