[Clayart] Mel asked....

Deborah Thuman via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Wed Jul 1 09:11:23 EDT 2015

…. how many
'kilns are turned off at less than cone 10 because the potter is tired
and pissed off?

At my house? Every time I fire. I fire to ^6. <G>

I’m still working on getting the Olympic to fire evenly. I used 12” posts for flame baffles this last time. Put a post on its side on the shelf. End of the post almost touching the kiln wall. This was done over all 4 burner openings. Two on the bottom shelf, other two on the middle shelf. I will get this kiln figured out. Alas, the posts didn’t solve the problem. I do like the idea of a flame baffle, so I’ll be doing that again when I glaze fire. I have been pushing the damper across the hole in the lid a little bit. I’m thinking I need to get a tad more aggressive with the damper. I’ve fired ^6 reduction several times and I do like what it does to the glazes. I want to try to hit a point where there’s enough back pressure to keep the heat in (I’m getting about a 3 cone difference between top and bottom shelves) but not enough to get reduction.

I will get this kiln figured out. At the moment, I’m working on figuring out how to glaze the experimental sculptures. The sculptures are based on a scanning electro-micrograph of a single cell plant found only in Antarctica. I have accoutrements on the sculptures and a shelf full of Potters Choice glazes. I’m thinking one glaze for the background and two glazes for the accoutrements. I’m also thinking of using the cobalt wash that I bought for an absurdly low price on the accoutrements with clear over the top and a colored glaze on the rest of the sculpture. Guess I need to make 30 or so more experimental sculptures. I will get this sculpture figured out as well. It’s probably a really good thing my passion is microbiology rather than gross anatomy. I’d have an interesting time trying to figure out how to fire a coral reef.

Oh, crap! Now I have coral reef yard art sculptures dancing in my head. And I have to be in court this morning.

Deb Thuman
debthuman at verizon.net

I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I’m more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves.
Jerry Garcia