[Clayart] Refiring raku

via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Thu Jul 16 18:41:46 EDT 2015

>I have been refiring Raku pots for years with very good luck, though I
would not recommend doing much of it. If you are doing it the clay body,
speed of the firing, and quickness of getting into post firing reduction
is key. I have been using Lagunas WSO. It works exceptionally well.

Given that there is no longer control over the clay body I would suggest
preheating the pots, bringing them up slowly to cone and then going into
post firing reduction as quickly as you are able. It is the thermal shock
that is cracking the pieces, more than likely, and this can be mitigated
by putting the pots into cans quickly.

I would forgo any contact with water, until after the pieces have cooled
completely as well. Do not quench the pots. If the pots were quenched on
the first firing I wouldn't spend my time trying a second firing.

Hope this helps

Craig

Heading off to Panama for the next two years on Tuesday!!!! Will be
keeping kids good-and-muddy in an American International School

www.oldschoolclay.com
(713)261-0281

Hi all!