[Clayart] Refiring raku

via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Thu Jul 16 20:22:59 EDT 2015

Very simple fix for this.

1. I never set raku pieces directly on the shelf as it get hot real quick and after the first firing you are at risk of cracking pots sitting them right on a hot shelf.

2. I have a bucket of broken shelf scraps and ALWAYS set one of these scraps on the the shelf and then put the pot on the scrap...then fire as usual.

3. After each firing I swap out the HOT scraps for new COLD scraps

Using this method you should crack very few pieces based upon the bottoms heating up too quick.

Ray