[Clayart] The mysterious blend

Cyndy Shorter via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Wed Jul 22 12:31:11 EDT 2015

I transitioned from Highwater's Ellen Buff to Standard 563 to Coleman's
porcelain last year. Since then I have sampled several different types of
porcelain clays. I do fire at cone 6, but do a long soaking at the top. Am
I glad I made the transition? Most of the time. Here in the mid-Atlantic
region porcelains tend to develop a sediment in the bottom of pans and
containers that has to be scraped off. This can be an aggravation. It can
crack easily and does not like to be pushed quickly. Shrinkage can be as
high as 15%. But despite it's flaws, porcelain can also have its wonderful
rewards.