[Clayart] Mixing clays

Lis Allison via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Thu Jul 23 11:38:31 EDT 2015

All this talk of mixing clays is bothering me a bit. If you make
tableware, as I do, remember that you have a responsibility to your
customers to give them ware that can be depended on. How can you be sure
that your glaze really fits if you have no real idea what clay you are
putting it on? I use two Canadian-made clays, both rated for cone 6. I
fire one to cone 5 (a little higher) and the other to cone 7. It took a
lot of testing with my glazes to make sure that the results won't craze
or shatter or otherwise embarrass me.

If you're making decorative objects I can see it, but not if you are
making functional ones.

Just sayin'.

Lis

--