[Clayart] Pizza Stones/was: kilns etc

David Woof via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Fri Jul 31 22:19:49 EDT 2015

Snail touched on something important; Snail said:<" Seems to me a pizza stone shouldn't be too tightly vitrified,>"

Amen! Yes! There is a long standing idea that un-vitrified dough baking pans and stones absorb moisture from the dough in early stages of baking and then release it back to the baking dough in the later critical stage of finishing the bake and influencing the condition and texture of the dough.    If one just wants the dough to hold the pizza fixings one puts on it and swilled down with copious amounts of beers (no judgments here) then vit or un-vit doesn't matter.

However if one wants the whole "make and bake your self" epicurean experience one would do well to chose the un-vitrified earthen or stoneware.  These "stones" will develop a wonderful patina if one uses a good oil like olive, and holds the anchovies. Each bite should be accompanied by a moan of pleasure and a lingering finish.   Why else should we eat at all?

David...... ain't Woofin on this!  Ask any higher end chef who doesn't have "Billy,"  "Pump Shotgun," or "Road Kill Burger" somewhere in his name or establishment.